Arduino Real Time Clock and temperature Monitor with 3.2″ Color TFT display

Home/Arduino Projects/Arduino Real Time Clock and temperature Monitor with 3.2″ Color TFT display

Arduino Real Time Clock and temperature Monitor with 3.2″ Color TFT display

In this video we are building an Arduino Real Time clock and temperature monitor with a big 3.2″ Color TFT display. We are using a DS3231 Real Time clock module to get the time, the date and the temperature. The heart of the project is the powerful Arduino Due board, which can drive the display and update it without any visible flickering at all! Impressive. Let’s start!

A few weeks ago, I tested this 3.2” color TFT display for Arduino with both Arduino Mega and Due. The display works fine and I built a simple project with it. It is a temperature monitor and a real time clock. As you can see at the top, we can see the current date and time, we can see the temperature right now, and at the bottom the Arduino records the minimum and the maximum temperature that it has measured. I also tried to design a basic user interface just with simple shapes. As you can see everything works fine, and it is a very easy and useful project to build. Let’s see how to do it!

The parts needed in order to build this project are these:
• An Arduino Due or a Mega
• A 3.2” Color TFT display
• A DS3231 RTC module
• Male headers

The cost of the project is around 24$. You need around 14$ for the Arduino Due, 8$ for the display and about 2$ for the RTC module. You can find links for all the parts in the description of the video.

——————–
WHERE TO BUY
——————–

1. Arduino Due: http://bit.ly/ArduinoDUE

2. Arduino Mega: http://bit.ly/ArduinoMega

3. 3.2″ Color TFT: http://bit.ly/32COLORTFT

4. DS3231 module: http://bit.ly/Ds3231

5. Header Pins: http://bit.ly/HeaderPinsB

6. Female Wires: http://bit.ly/FemaleWires

I am going to use the Arduino Due to build this project, although I could use the slightly cheaper but slower Arduino Mega. Arduino Due is much faster than the Arduino Mega and it has a lot of memory, that’s why I prefer it for this project.

At first we have to connect all the parts together. I am going to use these male headers in order to connect the RTC module to the Arduino DUE. We need four header pins. Two for power and two for the I2C interface. We bend them like this and we connect one to 3.3V pin of the Arduino Due board, the other to GND, and the other two to SDA and SCL pin of the board. With some female wires we connect the module to the board. That’s it. Now we can attach the display to the board. You don’t have to connect these two pins to the Arduino board so I will leave them floating. Now we are ready to power up the project. As you can see, it works fine!

——————–

——————–

Never miss a video: Subscribe to educ8s.tv

2017-03-30T12:54:00+00:00

16 Comments

1. Jean-Marie Guitard May 23, 2016 at 1:00 pm - Reply

Hello Nick,
    I have built this project and i’m very pleased with it except that I have noticed a strange issue that I cannot explain : sometimes on the display of the time 59 seconds appear despite it is not foreseen in the code. I’m using your original code except for the name of the day that I translated into french ?

Have you en idea, is that a bug of the library ?

Here is a picture of the screen : http://jmguitard.com/pub/horloge_arduino_issue_sec_1024.jpg

Thanks in advance
    Jean-Marie

• Nick May 27, 2016 at 7:50 am - Reply

Hello Jean-Marie,

It’s really nice to see that someone has built my project. That’s why I created the YouTube channel, and it feels great when I see that my videos are somehow helpful.

About your project, it’s really strange, I haven’t noticed it at all. I will take another look at the code, and I will let you know.

Thanks!

2. jorge July 3, 2016 at 9:47 pm - Reply

Hello Nick
    Because I appear this error message when compiling the cadigo!!

exit status 1
    ‘HX8357C’ was not declared in this scope
    Thanks

• Nick November 7, 2016 at 4:20 pm - Reply

I have uploaded a new version of the code that uses another library. It should work fine now.

3. Vishwas Mathew July 12, 2016 at 4:08 am - Reply

Hello friends..

Test the code Because I appear this error message when compiling the code!!

exit status 1
    ‘HX8357C’ was not declared in this scope

Please replay how to fix this issue..

Thanks & Regards,
    Vishwas Mathew

• Nick July 15, 2016 at 5:54 am - Reply

Please download the correct library for the display from Banggood.com. The UTFT library does not support the display, you need a modified version of it that can be downloaded from Banggood.com

4. vishwas Mathew July 12, 2016 at 9:41 am - Reply

Hello Nick,

I compiling this Arduino Real Time Clock and temperature Monitor with 3.2″ Color TFT display code. But this error message appear this when compiling the code!!

exit status 1
    ‘HX8357C’ was not declared in this scope” Please help and fix the problems

Thanks & Regards,
    vishwas Mathew

• Nick November 7, 2016 at 4:21 pm - Reply

5. jorge August 11, 2016 at 7:40 pm - Reply

Hello Nick
    In banggood.com,no find driver for this LCD
    Could here to download
    Thanks & Regards,

• Nick August 16, 2016 at 3:00 pm - Reply

You are right, banggood has removed the driver file. You can download another library for this display here: https://github.com/Bodmer/TFT_HX8357

I will re-write the code to support this library soon.

• jorge August 16, 2016 at 6:06 pm - Reply

Wait for updating the code, I already tried with the current and not working

• Nick August 20, 2016 at 6:29 am - Reply

No it won’t work out of the box. The new library works with the display. But I have to re-write the code for the new library.

• jorge August 20, 2016 at 3:46 pm

• Nick November 7, 2016 at 4:22 pm - Reply

6. keith pohlmeyer September 24, 2016 at 1:57 am - Reply

Anyou update on the code

• Nick November 7, 2016 at 4:22 pm - Reply